WERA and the COVID-19 virus
Two systems of internet communication have been created for WERA during the corona virus:
- A Facebook page
- A collection of WhatsApp groups, one per street. The following links take you directly from your phone to the groups, but they may not work well from your computer. If you have any problems please email Alice.
- Here’s an online list of home-delivery services offered by local food shops.
- Chris Reed, who set it up, writes (21 March 2020): I’ve started a crowdsourced directory of local and London-wide food deliverers. A mix of corner shops, grocers, and New Covent Garden stalls who now do £20+ veg boxes. Please feel free to add any more shops and restaurants to it that you know of, and please do share it with people who might add to it/benefit from it. If you’re on any of the local WhatsApp groups of shopkeepers/restauranteurs please feel free to send it to them to fill in as well. It’s a google doc so anyone who wants to edit it can do. I’m hoping that we’ll find a way for most people to get most of what they need delivered, if they want to. Ideally by local and independent shops and restaurants, so we can help them out during the coming months too.
- If you are worried about the impact of coronavirus on your money, accessing essential items or accessing the support you need, please call our Connected Communities line – tel: 020 8489 4431. This line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm.
- Please also see the Connected Communities web page.
- If you would like to volunteer to assist your neighbours, or if you need help with shopping etc because you are self isolating, then you can find out more at Haringey Covid 19 Mutual Aid, and you can join your local Mutual Aid Whatsapp Group by clicking here. Please note, these groups are for neighbourhood assistance, not for medical advice.
- If you are concerned about a vulnerable resident who may need additional support, or if you have any concerns about the welfare of the person you are speaking to, or people in their household, please contact the Haringey Council Connected Communities team 020 8489 4431 (Monday to Friday | 09:30-16:30)
- Harringay Online (The Ladder)– an example of an area with good organisation and networking.
- Governmental advice on social distancing amd staying at home.
- An international collection of figures on infection, death and recovery.
- A TED talk by Bill Gates in 2015 predicting a future pandemic and warning the world to prepare for it.
- A 2020 TED discussion with Bill Gates about COVID-19 and how science can help.
- A page on the Washington Post demonstrating, with simulations, the benefits of ‘extensive social distancing’.
- The computational report from Imperial College that persuaded the government to change tack.
- A film made in Wuhan (China) about the effects of the virus and lockdown on life there.