The WERA email group
There is an email group which any WERA resident is welcome to join (instructions below).
- This is distinct from the large list of members’ email addresses that Secretary Joyce has for occasional mailings; if you would prefer to be on that list rather than the regular one, email her: jrosser, then ‘at’, then lineone.net.
- In early 2020 we moved the group from Yahoo groups to Groups.io. The following instructions are for the new location.
- The email address: email@example.com
- The “io” suffix apparently stands for the British Indian Ocean! So let’s pretend that Wera is the name of an island with a lagoon, etc.
Once you have joined the group, you can:
- send messages to all the other members of the group via a single email address (firstname.lastname@example.org); for instance, you could ask if anyone can recommend an electrician, report a cat that’s been found, or enquire about unpruned trees;
- receive these messages and their answers;
- reply to them if you have an answer (see below for how to do this); and
- search the archived messages on the group’s website to find messages about things such as electricians, lost cats or tree-pruning. (See below for searching the archive.)
The group is a good way to get to know the neighbours and to share local information.
- Either: ask the list owner, Dick Hudson, to send you an invitation; include the address you want to register with (i.e. the address where you want your messages from the group to go).
- When the invitation message arrives, just hit Reply and Send, without adding any words.
- Or go directly to the group page.
- Click the prominent ‘+ Join this group’ button.
- Write in the box the email address that you want group mails to come to.
- If this triggers a confirmation email, reply to it.
To send a message to the list you must already be registered as a subscriber. If you are, just send the message to email@example.com.
- Warning: when you send your first message to the group, it will go automatically to the list owner for verification. This is a sensible way to eliminate spam, and won’t apply to any subsequent messages. However it may mean a short delay (depending on how long it takes for the list owner to read email) before your message appears on the list.
If you want to reply to a message, you can send it either to the entire group, or just to the person who sent the message.This allows you t o avoid sending personal messages to the entire group. Here’s how you choose:
- To send your reply to the entire group: just hit the ‘reply’ button.
- To send your reply just to the sender:
- Hit Reply, and replace the address in the ‘To:’ field, replacing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ by the sender’s address.
- If you don’t already have the sender’s address stored on your system, you can copy it from the top of their message and paste it into the ‘To:’ field.
- Alternatively, you can go to the foot of the message you’re replying to and hit ‘Reply to sender’. This will open a brand new message form, with the sender’s email address in the ‘To:’ field; but it won’t include a copy of their message.
- As explained above, your first message sent to the list will be delayed while waiting for the list owner to validate it.
- Click on the list’s address (which you’ll find repeated at the foot of each message).
- Find what you want either by browsing or by using the search box.
For information about sending, receiving and other issues, the Help page for groups.io is helpful. The following extracts the most useful tips.
- How to control your account: just send a blank message to the following email addresses (substituting “wera” (without speech marks) for GROUPNAME):
- GROUPNAMEemail@example.com To join a group
- GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org To unsubscribe from a group
- GROUPNAMEemail@example.com To receive an email containing a list of these commands
- GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org To receive plain digests instead of individual messages
- GROUPNAMEemail@example.com To receive full featured digests instead of individual messages
- GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages
- GROUPNAMEemail@example.com To receive individual messages instead of digests or a summary
- GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org To only receive special messages
- GROUPNAMEemail@example.com To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web)
- GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org To contact the owners of a group.